Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WEEK 2 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
June 15, 2011-Wednesday
MWR

Today I worked from 7am-3:30pm, the same everyday but Thursdays. Since one of the Fitness Instructors just had a baby, I’ve taken her place to instruct until she returns in August. The class I instruct, Stroller Rollers, have 2 different classes between 8-10:15am. We first start out walking for 2.5 miles, and then I have stations in the fitness room for them to do and rotate every 2 minutes. They really seem to like the stations because I make sure each one works a different part of their body. I had the trainer, Riley, go over my schedule for them & learned pregnant women have to avoid being on their back (which I didn’t think about but made sense once he explained it.) So I had to go back and change some workouts in the stations. The rest of the day I had to write an article for the military base newspaper about myself and what I do on base. My office has no windows and extremely cold as well as being in a part of the building where I hardly see any people, so it’s hard to stay focused because I’m not use to being isolated from people. Once I got off work, I was thrilled to be outside again in the nice heat!

Edie Foley
June 16, 2011 – Thursday
MWR

Today I usually work from 12:30-9:00pm but I had to go in from 7:30-4:00pm because my boss gave me a tour of Short Stay. Short Stay is only for military personnel so you have to have a military I.D. to gain access. It is a small peninsula that has a private beach to the lake along with recreational rentals such as; jet skis, sail boats, pontoons, kayaks, etc. It is mainly a camp ground that has small cabins, tent set up areas, and RV hook ups. It’s also where my family used to camp out at when my dad was in the Navy and we lived on base in Goose Creek, (where I work.) My boss also had to give the beach lifeguards a swim test so I had to do Alligator watch, which isn’t my genre! After this we went out for some lunch then back to base because I had a mandatory “safety” meeting on the Air Force base. This is for all the new employees on all bases in Charleston. The meeting consisted of how to stay safe because areas around Charleston aren’t exactly friendly. The instructor also handed out events that go on in and around Charleston so that was helpful for me so I could see what all there is to do on my free time. This meeting lasted from 1:00 until 3:30pm so by the time I got back to the Weapons Station I was off of work! Thankfully!

Edie Foley
June 17, 2011 – Friday
MWR
This morning I worked regular hours. I usually get to work 15 minutes early to get to my office and help Riley (the physical trainer) set up for the Command PT. This is only about 20 people in their unit that have to do the PT with their Commander. I help Riley with every PT session he has and he tells me different options of obstacles for a PT class and how you have to learn what level the group can be on so that some people don’t get bored and others don’t drop out. Directly after this class, I did the Stroller Roller classes that were from 8-10:15am. We did the same routine but I switched the stations up a little so they wouldn’t get bored from doing the same thing a couple days before. The rest of the day my boss had me helping her out with small tasks that needed to be done. She ordered drawstring Navy bags that had 3 sets of fitness bands in them so that I can start using them in the Stroller Roller classes but each participant would get their own bag for the class. So I had to go through numbering all 98 bags so that I could enter them into the MWR Inventory. This took a good 2 hours because they were all stacked in taped up boxes in 15 that I had to carry to the back room. When I got done doing this along with smaller tasks, my boss was already off work so when I have nothing to do during the last bit of my day, I go around helping other facilities at the front desk. Finally Friday so I’m off for the weekend!

Edie Foley
June 20, 2011 – Monday
MWR

Today was not so great and I was in dyer need to get away from base. This morning I helped Riley with Command PT learning about cardio obstacles (he loved agility ladders!) When this was done at 8, the two Stroller Roller classes took place from 8-10:15am. Today after the beginning walk for the class, I had a list of workouts for the stations and let the ladies pick out what they would like at one of the stations. I noticed when they are tired, they talk a lot more, and Mondays are the talking days! Other times, they seem quieter and focused. After these classes, started my bad day. My boss, Nancy and athletic directors were very helpful and welcoming the first couple of weeks but now they seem to be in tunnel vision with their jobs. Today I didn’t have a set job or task to work on besides a couple things for Nancy that didn’t take long. So I was on my own. There are times where some of the staff can just take it easy while on work but because I have two hands and two feet, I felt as if I needed to be doing something, so instead of sitting around, I made some workout sheets for a few fitness classes I plan on starting. One will deal with an hour of working abs, “BeachBody Abs” while other will deal with main focus points of muscle on the body. I will have time during my work hours to start classes during the day so as for now I am working on schedules for the workout sessions. Nancy seemed to be very proud of my work, but sitting in an office the rest of the day was something I’m not use to so I started getting depressed and missing people in KY. When 3:30 came, I was off to the beach to relax in the OUTDOORS!

Edie Foley
June 21, 2011 – Tuesday
MWR

Today I got to run a station during INDOC PT with the Nuclear Sailors, which I absolutely loved doing. Not only because they did everything I told them by using yes ma’am but they had fun while doing it. They played Knock out and when they were out of the game I had them do crunches or push ups (burn outs) until the game restarted. They really loved when I gave them permission to do them in the shade. Hopefully I will be able to help with this more often! After this, I went with Nancy to the pool for children’s swim lessons. I’d rather been in the water as hot as it was outside because I got a bad headache afterwards but the class seemed to go a lot like the gymnastics classes I ran. I liked when they had a group of kids for a session, there were 2 instructors per 8-10 kids. I liked this because it’s always better to have someone helping or suggesting things for the class. When the swim lessons were done, I took my lunch, then had a meeting the rest of my work hours with the Physical Trainer, Riley, and Nancy about class sessions I will be instructing. The ones I came up with are called, Just do it, and Journey. Just do it will be a class of only work out stations that work each part of your body, similar to Roller Strollers, but anyone can come to “Just do it.” Journey will be a class or just walking and jogging. This class will start with walking and changing to jogging through out 10 minute intervals. I’m really excited about both these classes but I’m prepared for learning changes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment