Tuesday, August 2, 2011

WEEK 8 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
July 27, 2011 – Wednesday
MWR
Today has been a really rough day for me but I made it through. I just got back to South Carolina at 3am this morning then turned around to come to work at 5:45am to help set up and coordinate a 5k run that is done every last Wednesday of each month. It started at 7am until everyone finished and it rained all morning. Although it rained there was still a good turn out of at least 15+ people. After this I usually have my two Stroller Rollers classes but when it rains I (most of the time) don’t have anyone come because we always start out walking. Again, because of the rain, we had no shows but I had many text messages from my clients saying they didn’t want to get out in the rain which I understand completely. So during this time I went over my event plan and back ups along with calling to make sure things are going as planned with the volunteers and equipment. This has turned into an event that is either going to be good or bad because of so many people that are interested or are coming. I’m really excited to see the turn out but nervous like a normal person would be. After reviewing everything for the event, the rest of my day I spent working in the fitness center behind the front desk which makes the day slow because if I’m not sitting behind the desk checking IDs, I’m cleaning what needs to be clean. Since my lack of sleep, I was even happier to get off work.

Edie Foley
July 28, 2011 – Thursday
MWR
Today was the busiest but one of the worst days of my life. It started out good, it was a whole lot of running around getting all the equipment for the event set up. Nancy and I went out to get prizes which was an easy task because I previously looked up and made a balance of the prices of the prizes so we just went in Sports Authority, got what we needed and left. After this we had a staff meeting with all but 2 staff that works for MWR because someone carved in the wooden desk behind the front desk counter. Once this was over I had to help set up the inflatable with the volunteers I was blessed to get from the Navy base. The only bad thing about the inflatable, was that the people who used it before had for the 4th of July, didn’t spray it down so myself and another staff member took 3 hours to sweep the grass out along with sanitized the entire obstacle. The rest of the day I had to go out and get the other equipment that I used in the obstacle such as the tires, cones, corn hole boards, weights, etc. At about 6:30pm there was a death in my family so staying and setting up until 9pm was the hardest part of this project.

Edie Foley
July 29, 2011 – Friday
MWR
This morning I came in at 5am because I had to turn on the inflatable and run through it making sure everything was clean and ready to go. I also took time to finish the rest of the set up which involved printing out sign up sheets to keep track of the participant and their time for the prizes at the end. The first session started 6-8am and I was super pumped about this event but at this time, because of the death in my family, I didn’t want to be there and it wasn’t as exciting as I really wanted it to be. This is my event though, so I plastered a smile on my face and kept going. For the first session, 6-8am, I had already had about 30 participants to sign up and go through the obstacle and absolutely loved it. I allowed 2 chances to go through and would take the best time which people loved. During the break until 11am I went through straightening up the obstacle and talking to some of the participants. Somehow the guy I work with, Riley, found out there was a death in my family and told me he was taking over and to go home. This was the biggest blessing I’ve ever had because it had been so hard all morning to keep going without shedding a tear. I was able to leave everything with Riley and other staff that came in to fill in for me so I could leave because I had a 9 hour drive. Even though sometimes work can be aggravating and tiring, I am thankful for the staff that I work with.


(I went home over the weekend & returning to work tomorrow, August 3, 2011 – Wed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment