Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WEEK 9 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
August 3, 2011 – Wednesday
MWR
Today was hard. Just one of those days where it feels like the largest weight in the world has been set on your heart. I started work at 7am, like normal and got prepared for the Stroller Roller classes from 8-10:15am. It went a little slow and not many people came to either class because most wasn’t sure when I would be back. The ones that did come said they were glad to see me back so that help me know that the way I set up the workouts are effective. The 2nd class was different because one lady brought her dog for the start of our base walk warm up so instead of her leaving and not doing the circuit training, I explained the workouts to the girls and stayed in the lobby with her dog so she could work out. I love dogs so it made my morning a little better. The rest of the day was mainly getting things straightened out from when I left making sure things were put back properly along with calling back some people that called while I was gone. I still feel like I left KY too soon, things right now just don’t seem desirable like they once were but I know it will take time.

Edie Foley
August 4, 2011 – Thursday
MWR
Today started off at 12:00 so I was able to sleep in finally. When I got to work I had a couple things I didn’t have time to finish yesterday I had to do. There was a misprint on the Fitness Schedule flyer so I had to go through all the flyers and hand out flyers and mark off a class that’s been discontinued. These took a while because there were about 150 so that was aggravating. After this I had to go through the sign up list from my event project calling the 1st and 2nd place winners for each category so they can come pick their prizes up. I realized this was an aggravating part of my event because it’s hard to contact some of them. I decided next event they will have a time limit to come get their prizes before it goes onto the next participant. That’s what I’m doing now as well. I’m giving them a few more days and calls to come pick it up then it goes to the next participant. After this, MWR got a trailer for the truck to haul some fitness equipment on so, some of the workers including me had to organize the shed to have a place for the trailer. It didn’t take long because the trailer wasn’t that big. Then I had a couple hours to get back into doing prescriptions for the rest of this weeks fitness classes along with some research about health and pregnant women health because I instruct Stroller Rollers which tends to have expecting women attending. I also participated in a fitness class myself tonight. My boss likes me to go to as many as possible to learn from the instructors along with knowing which each class consists of so if a patron has questions and want details of the classes, I’ve been to them all so I can inform them. The rest of the night was just a cleaning night. I helped the Fitness front desk get caught up on some cleaning along with cleaning my building as well.

Edie Foley
August 5, 2011 – Friday
MWR
This morning I got to work at 7am and from then until 9:15am was very slow. Since I didn’t have anyone my first fitness class, I helped out in the fitness center at front desk because one person had to leave. After this I was able to run my second fitness “Stroller Rollers” class which seemed to also run slow. Sometimes when you get a few in for a class, if it isn’t a large group of at least 5 or more, they are motivated & seem to get distracted easily with their kids to get out of a workout. Luckily the original instructor will be coming back Monday so I will be taking the kids while she does the class with the moms. I’m glad she is coming back because I can’t relate to most conversations when the moms talk about their children or pregnancy so it’s a little awkward. From when this class ended until about 1:30pm I worked in the fitness center with Jason because 2 staff members have to be behind desk. This isn’t too bad because I love working with people and using the cash register for some odd reason. When 2nd shift came in I was able to take a lunch break then work on some more prescriptions that had to be revised by Riley, the personal trainer. Apparently he was supposed to okay all the other workouts I planned but I didn’t know this until Nancy told me today. She was slightly rude about it and told him to make sure I stopped by and if I didn’t to let her know which really ticked me off because I’m capable of responsibility if you tell me once to do something. After this, the rest of the day consisted of making “Welcome Back” signs for the regular Stroller Rollers instructor because she is returning from having a baby to teach class. I was more than happy to do this even though I had to pay for it out of pocket while being told to make them by my boss. It was worth the money because she knows how to cope with pregnant women.

Edie Foley
August 6, 2011 – Saturday
MWR
Today I was scheduled to come in from 0730-1300 (yes I can use military time now!) to work the front desk in the fitness center because they are running out of front desk staff. I don’t mind doing this at all because it is an easier job than what I would normally do. Although I can’t sit still for very long so I ended up cleaning more while the other employee sat at the front desk checking ID’s. This is pretty much how the entire day went until the 2nd shift came in. Later on during my shift the other employees family came in so he left and played basketball the rest of the time which really bothered me because then I was left running the entire fitness center. Every now and then he’d come back up to the desk and check if I needed him to do anything but every time he’d check I had already done all the duties. He is on his last ride before getting fired though so it didn’t bother me as much because he won’t be there much longer.

Edie Foley
August 7, 2011 – Sunday
MWR
So I’m now working on a Sunday, which I have never done in my life but Jackie (the head of the fitness center) needed someone so I volunteered. It was probably one of the worst experiences for me working with the employee I did work with. She didn’t do anything at all. All she did was sit around, talk to guys in the gym, and lay on the floor behind the counter. I cleaned, serviced people, and checked on everything all day so it really ticked me off. Here I am, a new worker in the fitness center, already running the place the 2nd time I’ve worked there. She then left early before closing without me knowing it. She didn’t even help me with the closing cleaning list. Instead, she signed her name on stuff I had done then left. Luckily another employee was told to come over to help close and he ended up closing everything himself because I didn’t know how and I also had family waiting for me for dinner. He was a blessing because he took over and told me to leave because it wasn’t fair what she did to me. If I could, I’d give him a raise for his courtesy and time. Some workers aren’t worth paying while other is worth a raise, but I guess that’s the hard part of reality. You work for what you get and whether it is now or later, the honest will be rewarded. I still got hot headed about it though and still do when I think about it.

Edie Foley
August 8, 2011 – Monday
MWR
It’s my birthday so my bosses let me off work.

Edie Foley
August 9, 2011 – Tuesday
MWR
This morning I came in at 7am which started off badly. Every Tuesday morning we have INDOC, where the Nuclear Power squadrons come in a very large group up to about 90 Nucs and get their PT in. Riley, the Personal Trainer I work with, gives me a hard time everyday but today was worse than any other day. Knowing I’m small he made me carry out big water jugs to the back of the truck after I was nice enough to even go get the truck and drive it up to his door for him. Once we were out doing INDOC, he acted like the world revolved around him. I guess he just has little boy syndrome and no girlfriend which makes him that way. On the way back to base, he bashed me about how my boyfriend got me a promise ring for my birthday just making fun and asking what I’d be good for in a relationship along with making me bleach out his groups huge Gatorade water jugs just because he could knowing that I had to leave for a doctors appt. soon. This made me pissed off because I wasn’t in the right close to be dealing with bleach and he just got done saying to me and other staff he didn’t have anything to do since our boss was out of her office, though he had me bleaching out things that were his responsibilities. One of these days I’m going to turn around and tell him what I think and go on with life. It’s just hard because there are times I do have to listen to what he says and I don’t want to make it worse than it already is. He thinks just because he’s been here longer he can boss me around and make me feel harassed. I just would like to come in work and be appreciated by him at least once, instead of looked down on. When all this was done, I had to leave to get major shots in my back which of course didn’t help my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment