Thursday, July 14, 2011

WEEK 5 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
July 6, 2011 – Wednesday
MWR
Today I came in a little before 7:00am because I just started a running fitness class this week. I didn’t have anyone because a lot of military personnel are still on holiday leave. So instead I started getting ready for my next class I instruct, Stroller Rollers. I didn’t get some of the work out stations started because there weren’t many people on base from the holiday. Turns out, I didn’t have anyone for the first class but I had only 2 for the second. I did with them the same thing I would have done if there were a lot of people there. I like the small classes the most because it is more one on one and the kids aren’t as wild! After this, I helped out in the fitness center with checking IDs and cleaning up along with building onto my special project and getting advice from staff that are above me. While in the fitness center, I was able to help people out with getting involved in fitness classes along with showing them around the fitness center as well. I worked until 6:30pm tonight so I had a training class I had to attend at the end of my shift that was a 1 ½ hours. I like ending with a workout because I feel accomplished when I’m beat tired.

Edie Foley
July 7, 2011 – Thursday
MWR
Today I came in and started planning for my new class I will be starting called “Teen INDOC”. It’s for teens during the summer to get them active and off the streets. I was asked to start something fitness related for them so most of today were planning different workouts for different times we meet so they don’t get bored doing the same thing. I didn’t think the planning would be hard but when I have to think if it’s something I can do outside or in that begins to become a problem because everything you use on base has to be reserved. As for the weather, doing things outside is risky because at times we have black flag on base which means severe heat index. While doing this I had to run errands for both my bosses who ran me to death making phone calls to patrons along with checking all bulletins. What I do on busy days is making a list of my duties then go through them as quickly as possible. Today was harder because I tried getting things done so Friday would be more relaxing when Dr. Day came to visit. The things I didn’t get done, I left for Monday to be done first thing. I was able to catch someone new in the fitness center and con him into coming to a workout class that night so I felt like a good sales fitness girl because I got a patron to come to some fitness classes. Since there was a black flag today I felt like I worked twice as hard as I normally do because it was so hot doing things outside. So I was more than thankful to be off work when I got done.

Edie Foley
July 8, 2011 – Friday
MWR
Thank God it’s Friday. This morning Dr. Day came to work with me so it was a more relaxing day giving the tour of base, although my fitness classes made up for not doing a lot of paperwork and errands. For my Roller Stroller classes, I didn’t have many because it’s still holiday weekend leave for most families on base. My boss, Nancy, was able to come around lunch along with taking us out to eat which excited me because she stays busy most of the day. She’s always better at giving tours than I because she knows more of the history of the base. Today I started my new fitness class “Just go with it” and had 1 participant who was from the Nuclear Power School on base. Most Nucs don’t come because they have to drive here and don’t usually have a car coming out of Boot Camp so I was lucky to have one. I treated him just like I would have if I had a full class. I was happy to see him having to take breaks because it lets me know failure is success! After I instructed this class, I attend one before my shift was over called S.E.C. training which is Strength & Endurance Core Training. From doing 3 classes earlier, by the time I participated in this class, I was beat and ready to leave. I am aloud to go to fitness classes on clock because I had to take notes on how each class is instructed as part of a learning session. I love this but sometimes all the classes in one day really do a number on me!

Edie Foley
July 9, 2010 – Saturday
MWR
This morning I only worked an hour because I instruct a running class. This was my first running class… which I ended up learning a lot from! When I got to work, no one was here and I wasn’t given a key to my building which is where my running shoes were. So instead I had to run back home, get my other tennis shoes (which aren’t made for running) and run in them. Luckily the 2 people that attended this morning were very understanding and patient so they didn’t mind starting 30 mins late. When I practiced this class, the class turns out to be a 2.5 mile walk/run class. This morning, we got lost on a trail but it was fun doing it with them because they were so optimistic about it. One of the signs had fallen over which took us on a long route. I was familiar with the names of the routes once I found a sign that had the names. This made me realize that it’s better to mark trees along with the signs on the trails. The tree markings are good for a 2nd back up. I also had bad blisters from running in the shoes I had to run in so this morning wasn’t a good morning for me. Along with all this, I realized the earlier you run a trail, the more spiders will be out trapping you down the trails. This class has now changed for the August schedule to be inside as an Interval treadmill run. If it wasn’t so hot here, I would do it later in the day, but because of the heat, it really limits time to run outdoors.

Edie Foley
July 11, 2010 – Monday
MWR
This morning Dr. Day left so it was sad knowing I was back to going places alone and learning places on my own through the city. Instead of helping Riley with Command PT this morning, I took time to set up the Stroller Rollers class because I was introducing “Band Bags” which is a drawstring bag for the parents that includes 7 different kinds of bands with an instruction book. I was very surprised when both these classes were over because I had more people than I ever imagined! They were busy classes so I just took time explaining each of the bands and letting the moms get used to using them on their own. They really loved having time to go through the book on their own and trying out the new workouts. I mainly walked around and answered ALL their questions and showing them how some of the workouts worked. After this class, I finished up on some errands I didn’t finish last Thursday then set up for my circuit training class. Today this class didn’t go as planned because I only had one person. I planned on more people attending but my boss said it would take time for more people to attend because everyone here runs off of the “buddy system” which means they won’t come unless they have a friend coming with them. The girl that came really loved the class and bragged on how much she got done so this was more motivation for me than I thought. I got off at 3:30pm today so after the cleaning up of my class it was time to leave. Thank goodness.

Edie Foley
July 12, 2011 – Tuesday
MWR
INDOC this morning when I got to work was probably one of the biggest squadrons that we’ve had. We focused more on relay fitness because it was cardio for the Nucs and was easier to perform for bigger groups. The heat index was high this morning so as the morning went on it got hotter. Along with it getting hotter, the hotter it got, the more Nucs we had vomiting and had 1 pass out. Since this had happened, it was made official after INDOC that we would start 30 minutes earlier to avoid the heat failing out the Nucs during their workout. When I came back to my office I had to go to my other boss, Greg, to do some work for him. I had to call people who put in their applications to the fitness center and do a questionnaire on the phone with them to see if they are committed and met the requirements to come in for a personal interview. I liked doing this because I love talking to people. The hard part was going through all the applications calling the applicants from highest to lowest rank in the military. After all the paperwork, I had a meeting with the Teen Center coordinator about the Teen INDOC I will be doing for their teens. There were some time conflictions which led me to changing some of my fitness classes for the month of August because of school. This meeting was about 1 ½ hours so it took up a lot of my day. After this meeting I had another meeting for trainers I had to attend about where I and Riley are at in our fitness schedules following with a meeting with my boss about my personal schedule for my fitness classes. She just started a fitness class as well so she understands the frustration when no one shows up but it’s just part of the growing process. After this meeting I was done for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment