Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 6 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
July 13, 2011 – Wednesday
MWR
This morning I had my Journey class from 7-8am which didn’t go as planned. A lot of people I talked to about attending the class said they couldn’t get themselves up that earlier or that they didn’t want to run in the heat so this made it more official to change for August. Since I didn’t have this class, I was able to set up for Stroller Rollers to be more prepared if I had another large group comes in. Both classes are ran the same and this morning both classes had at least 7 parents with their kids. I was able to set up an obstacle course for the kids to keep them occupied while I explain the station workouts for the parents. I liked the stations because then I know each mom is doing some kind of workout then we rotated every 1.5 minutes. They really seemed to like the stations because I gave them a goal to try and reach in that amount of time. As always, the 1st class is always the talkers, then the 2nd class is the motivators, although it took about 30 minutes cleaning up after this class, but it was most defiantly worth it. After this, I had to meet with the P.R. guy because he had my flyers for my event printed out and designed along with 2 posters so I had to start putting them up in locations for the patrons to see. I was really impressed with the way they turned out and I’m already encountering people that are excited about it and PT command groups that are attending. I can’t wait for it myself! When I finished with these I got to leave work at 2:30 (early) because I had a doctor’s appt. My boss is really strict on health so she had no problem with working around that.

Edie Foley
July 14, 2011 – Thursday
MWR
This morning I came in a little earlier than usually to make up for the hour I missed yesterday from the doctor’s. I mainly worked on fitness scheduling and making out new prescriptions for next week. I always use my Thursday mainly for prescription making for the next week. Today I spent time to set up and reserve items for my event along with researching tire shops to get some tires donated for my event. I then finished with my flyer hanging which consisted of me driving to the Nuclear Power School, then down to the Officer housing where the 2nd fitness gym is located and finishing with the ITT outdoor facility. I’m hoping to get a good turn out for this event because I have sponsors involved. I worked the late shift tonight so I helped the fitness center out by cleaning my building and vacuuming. I’m learning a lot of the responsibilities so that I can help run the fitness center if needed. I’m also learning that there is always something that needs to be done around base that everyone gets involved in such as cleaning, organizing, making sure all equipment is working and all the basketballs, footballs, etc have a good amount of air, etc. Right before I got off work I had to send out a lot of emails for Nancy, my boss, about equipment and questions she had so the job also involves a lot of communication.

Edie Foley
July 15, 2011 – Friday
MWR
Today was a rough day so everything I did seemed 10 times as hard. I had family coming in so I didn’t sleep well and work was busier today than it had been all week. The morning started off with command PT where a unit comes in and Riley, the trainer, and I set up some things for the unit to do to get their fitness exercise in for the day. After this I had 2 classes of “Stroller Rollers” which had more people than usual but I had a good circuit training system set up so that part went smoothly and they loved it. The baby sitting the kids running around on the other hand wasn’t so easy. It’s really hard trying to be the instructor and babysit kids at the same time but I will be watching the kids when the actual instructor comes back in mid August. Right now it’s just a rough stage. After the 2 classes, I had to run errands for Nancy and Greg trying to get 2 events set up. One is the event I’m doing for my Project, and the other is one I’m just doing to be doing but they are both big and are getting sponsors already. It’s more stressful because I don’t have much guidance or help. I just got told it was okay to do the event, then that was it. Everything else I’m having to research and find along with reserving equipment for the day. Then going to the NNPTC (Nuclear Power base) to try and get Navy volunteers to help me with this event. Luckily I have a friend that is from that base so he’s the only one that’s given me good advice on how to get people to help me work this. So today was just a stressful day of trying to get things done for this event before I left work. I then had a class I ran from 2-3pm but because it’s a Friday, for the fitness classes we usually get little to no people in because most active duty is off on weekends. Today I set up but didn’t have any participants so instead I had to send out more emails about the event I am doing and call more people that have left their numbers having questions on the event. It’s most definitely been one of those days.

Edie Foley
July 16, 2011 – Saturday
MWR
Today I only worked for an hour because I have a Interval run/walk class I do in the morning 7-8am before the heat comes. I had a couple of people participate who loved the class and were sore the next day including myself. I learned that it’s hard to run a class that involves running when you have a guy attending because guys can run faster than girls. I am still coming up with a solution to either change the class or find a better way to work with both male and female runners.

Edie Foley
July 18, 2011 – Monday
MWR
This morning I came in regular hours so I was able to help out with command PT with a unit. I learn a lot from helping out because it gives me different ideas on what I can do with an exercise group and I learn about how much to push them until exhaustion. I took some new ideas from this PT and used them in my own class that I instruct which is circuit training. After this PT, I had both of my Stroller Rollers classes that went very well. It seems to be easier to have them doing the circuit training while I keep time because they switch stations every 1.5 minutes while I watch the kids and try keeping them out of the way. I use to do the workout with them until the kids began to be a handful; therefore, doing the circuit training and being in their watching kids seems to be the best way to work this class. After this class, there were people I had to call about some events I am wanting to do on base, along with setting up times and place of where to pick up the items that I will need for my event next Friday. Once again, it’s a lot more work doing it alone than as if someone were to guide me. I also had more errands to run for Nancy because since the Air Force base and Navy base are now joint bases, the Air Force is putting in new rules and regulations, trying to make the Navy base look more up to date. My job was to go around checking all the dates on flyers, re-writing so rules and regulation signs, checking for places to put the new signs, etc. It was a lot of running around most of the day so I was beat when it was time to get off work.

Edie Foley
July 19, 2011 – Tuesday
MWR
Today we started INDOC at 7:30am instead of 8:00 because of the heat index being so extreme. I really enjoy running the INDOC PT because I get to instruct the Navy guys on how to do the workout they will be doing at my station. It’s a great feeling being able to encourage them but having to still yell at them because of their lack of fitness. I’ve learned to watch the group as well because to not call a certain person out to get a drink, if there is someone looking sick or pale, I call the whole unit for a water break so no one is being pointed out. After INDOC, I was able to get a donation of tires from a local car shop for my event I will be doing next Friday. They were glad to help so I had to take the Air Force/Navy truck down to pick them up. When I got back on base and settled things back down, it was my first day I would be instructing the “Teen INDOC” boot camp hour class that was asked to create from the Teen Center. I had ran this teen INDOC a lot similar to the INDOC the Navy men have to go through so the kids can feel like they are part of the military. I quickly realized, even though some kids may be small, they are very badly out of shape. A lot of them left complaining their muscles hurt, so this class became a favorite for me really quick. After this training, I had to go to a trainers meeting with Riley (Personal Trainer) and Nancy (my boss) to talk about things going on within base. Riley and I also have to get recertified for CPR training so the rest of the day after my running around through town and base, we went through the practice learning round of getting our CPR license. After this, I helped Nancy sanitize all the manikins along with cleaning the building area a little. When these tasks were done, I was out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment