Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Week 7 - William Gates - Cycling/HWC

Cycling Week 7

Week 7 of the internship with Cycling involved stepping outside of the office more. There was an athlete, Vance from Iowa, that visited so it was my duty to take him on a tour and show him the cycling facilities and then Coach and I chatted with him and his mother about college, racing, and things in general. You could tell he was nervous because he was very quiet, but his mother kept talking, it was actually quite funny how it seems to be that the parents are more interested than the students.

Later in the week, Coach and I spent time out at one of our facilities, the bmx and mountain bike track. It was hard work out there because the weeds have grown a lot and there was much to be done, and there still is much to do. Coach drove the gator with a drag, while I took an industrial weed-whacker and went to town cutting down the miniature jungle. It was a fun time because it was a different change of pace from the office.

Also, I contacted the porta-john company for our mountain bike race in September. I had to contact them via the phone and they have reserved it for our race for both of our race venues. I also had to call and ask for prices for a rental for a skid-steer bobcat to assist with fixing up our tracks. Fun times.

---------------
HWC Week 7

During week 7 of my internship at the wellness center, I came across new challenges. This past week was the half way point for the program. I'm not going to lie, I was slightly upset because only a total of 14 pounds were lost, but still at least it was a loss. There were many people who had gained weight and it boggled my mind. Thursday involved a nutrition seminar, put on by a registered dietitian, followed by a workout.

I presented the group with a challenge on Tuesday evening after the weigh-in. I wanted to challenge the group and see who could hold a wall-squat the longest. It came down to two participants, however, one of them kept moving around so I decided to do a tie-breaker involving a leg-lifts. One of the participants was trying to cheat and kept arguing with me, so I had to make the call to disqualify him. The person who won the challenge was given the privilege of leading half of the group in a workout, and the person who lost the largest percentage of weight was put in charge of the other half of the group.

The couch-2-5K group met on Saturday and it was a great workout with about eight people. The weather was gorgeous and the people earned their sweat. New surprises are in store for the coming week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment