Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week 1 - Shane Perkey - Kentahten

Week one mainly consisted of lifeguard training and CPR/First Aid Certifications. I had a good time because I finally met some new people. The water was really cold though and they were concerned about me getting hypothermia. I let them know that it's normal for my lips to turn blue and me to shiver though, so everything ended up going well and I received my certifications. I had a lot of fun though. The fun was even better because we learned about one another in a Blitzkrieg kind of way. Considering we were all in close proximity of one another, the rate in which we learned about each other was astounding. I liked it a lot. I also like the food... to a certain extent. We are made to fix our plates with everything put on the table, but we aren't made to eat it. It's part of the Kentucky Feeding Program in which Kentahten proves that they serve all of their people and in turn they receive money back for the food.
My internship with the kids hasn't really started yet, I am just doing training until June 13th, so my impressions upon them haven't been made yet. I'm excited about the kids here, but there is more training to be done before that happens.
The things I've learned here are amazing, it really is a child-centered foundation. I've always though this, but it is even more clear to me now: There is nothing greater than impacting the life of another. With this in mind, I have the opportunity to HELP 48 young males, and the opportunity to make positive impressions upon my fellow counselors and friendly administrators. I think I have already made a lot of good impressions and my internship here will continue in that direction. Camp is great, all the time! All the time, Camp is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment