Thursday, June 16, 2011

Week 10- Cody Wales- Burlington Bees

Cody Wales
Monday, June 6, 2011
Burlington Bees

Today was just like any other day before a home stand. I came in at 10:00am already knowing that there was a lot to get done today. When I got in T.J. was already edging the warning track and infield, which was very surprising to me. That just means that is one less thing me and Tony have to rush to get done. Once he was done edging me and Tony took the hoop hoe around and got all the extra and loose grass clippings that were around the warning track. After that it was just another usual day. I started off mowing the infield grass and dragging the warning track. Next thing that was on the list for today was to fix the bullpens. Me and Tony already got in our rhythm now and know exactly how to do things to make sure we get them done before the home stands. Tomorrow is the biggest home stand of the year, 13 games. Once the bullpens were fixed we took our lunch. After lunch we rolled the infield to make sure the lines stuck out and made the field look good. When we finished with the rolling we got everything ready and hand painted the foul lines. This is something that I have never liked doing. For one it takes an hour per line and for two you got to do it on your knees the how way. Spending an hour on your knees is not very fun or comfortable. After the foul lines were painted the rain started to kick in so we called everybody up for tarp duty and put the field tarp on. By this time it was only 4:00pm, T.J. gave us an hour break and told us to be back at 5:00pm to pull the tarp off. Why he made us take it off, I’ll never know because we had to come back in at 8:00pm and put it right back on. Finally after the tarp was on at 8:00pm my day was over and I can get some more rest before this big home stand starts.

Cody Wales
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Burlington Bees

Well today started our 13 game home stand. I came in at 8:00am because the tarp was on the field and we had to take it off before the sun came up. Once the tarp was over we began our regular day. T.J. gave us the choice of taking a break until 10:00am and then start work or start work now and get a super long lunch. Well you know my favorite part of the day is lunch, so that is what we choose. We got the bullpens fixed and the warning track drugged. We also got all the screens and batting practice equipment out and left for lunch at 10:00am and then did not have to be back until 2:00pm, which was my favorite part yet. After lunch we just had to wait for batting practice to get over. Once batting practice was over we cleared the equipment and set up for the game. During the game I had to go behind the wall and take care of our nursery because we are going to re-sod around the mound next week. By the time that was all over the game had came to an end and it was time for post game. During post game I did my usual and fixed the mound and plate area. Once the main things were cleared I started on the little job that was left to do around the field. Another day over but yet 12 more to go.

Cody Wales
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Burlington Bees

I came in today at my regular time, 10:00am ready to start another day just like yesterday. The first thing I did was fixing the bullpen mounds and mowing the infield. Once I got that done with that I helped pick weeds off the warning track. After the warning track and everything was cleaned up and dragged, we got everything together for batting practice. We are getting pretty good and doing things in a faster way but still the right way. After everything was set up for batting practice we took another long lunch. After lunch we worked through batting practice but just doing things that we would usually do during the game. So it was really helping us out. Once we got ahead of ourselves batting practice was over. We went through the clean up system and cleared the field. Soon as the field was cleared we started the regular pre-game routine. I chalked the lines and got the mound ready for play. The game got started and we got another long break. During the game we did not having nothing to do because we did it all earlier. The game got over and it was post-game time. I fixed the mound and plate and finished my regular duties. Once everything was done I helped T.J. water the field and then it was lights off. Another long day but another day down, 11 more to go.

Cody Wales
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Burlington Bees

Today was just another day for me; I came in at 10:00am and got right to work. I started out with the usual job, mowing the infield. When I was done mowing the infield I got straight into my next job which was fixing the bullpen mounds and dragging the warning track. This is really starting to feel like I’m doing the same thing over and over now because I actually am doing the same thing over and over. After the bullpens and warning track were done we started fixing things up for batting practice. We have gotten so in sync with each other, that we are doing jobs during batting practice that are not usually done until during this game. Once batting practice was set up as usual it was lunch time. When I got back from lunch batting practice was still going on and all we had left to do was get everything for post game ready and we could take another break. Once the short break we had was over, batting practice was over and it was time to start setting up for the game. As usual I chalked and got everything ready and looking good and then it was game time. During the game we got about an hour and a half and we had to be back. We had to be back early today because we were participating in an all-star special promotion advertisement. We had to change the bases during the 6th inning to represent a 6 month clean up for a local dentist. After the bases were changed we spilt up, I cleaned the bases and Tony got everything set up in the gator for post game. The game was finally over and we were all ready to beginning post game routine. I fixed the mound and the home plate area. We got the bullpen covered and got the scoreboard cut off. Everything else was done and set up for tomorrow. Tomorrow is just another day just like the last few days. Another day, another game!

Cody Wales
Friday, June 10, 2011
Burlington Bees

Another day, I came in at 10:00am prepared to do the usual. I mowed the infield and fixed the bullpen mounds. After the bullpens were fixed and the warning track was drugged, T.J. called a meeting in his office. The meeting was about the all-star break. During the all-star break one person from the crew is elected to join the all-star crew and has the opportunity to be able to prepare the field for the all-star game. Well I found out during the meeting that I was the one selected to join the all-star crew. Once the meeting was finished we set up for batting practice and was given lunch. After lunch I had a meeting the General Manager and other interns that were going to the all-star game about what was expected and regulations. After the meeting was over it was time to take everything off the field and set up for the game. I did my usual duties for pre-game and chalked the lines and got everything looking good for the game. During the game I was in charge of taking care of the nursery and making sure it got its proper care for the week. After I did everything to the nursery taken care of I got a short break and then it was time for post-game routine. I feel like I am repeating myself every week because I do the same things over and over again. Post-game routine included me fixing the game mound and home plate area as well as cleaning the bases and taking down the flag. I know everything I do sounds like something really to do but in reality everything is done a certain way, a way that you have to take time to learn. Once everything for post-game was done and the field was watered everybody was tired and ready to go home. I could tell because everybody was getting frustrated with everybody else. At least tomorrow I get to leave to go participate in the all-star crew. Well one night over and a few more to go. Well talk to you tomorrow and let you know about my first all-star game experience.

Cody Wales
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Burlington Bees

So I woke up today at 8:00am packed and ready to head off to the all-star game. It was an eight hour bus ride but I was use to it because it is twelve hours from Burlington to my house. Once the bus ride was over I got to tour the stadium of the St. Louis Cardinals and find out where everything was. So during this day I was not really in charge of anything I was just there to learn. I got to shadow one of the main grounds crew people and learn exactly how it is in the big leagues. I realized that in the big leagues there is a certain person that is in charge of certain tasks. I got to shadow the guy that rebuilt the game mounds each night after the home games. So for the first game I did not really have to do anything but sit around and ask question about what I might not have understood. I sat around during the whole game and got to learn some useful knowledge. Once the game was over my night finally began. I got the watch exactly how the big league crew fixed there mounds. Come to find out, I learned that we fixed our mounds nearly the same. Only thing I found different was the different types of clay that we used and how we mixed it. After I shadowed the crew and got to see everything we got to go on a out to eat as a staff. The food was amazing and then it was off to the hotel to get a nights rest for the actual real all-star game tomorrow. Tomorrow I actually get to put my talent to skill with rebuilding the game mound after the all-star game. Well goodnight for now, tell you how the day goes tomorrow.

Cody Wales
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Burlington Bees

All-star game Sunday and it was my big day. I got my chance to shine in front of some important people. We showed up at the field at 11:00am and ate breakfast as a crew and then began to get to work. I got to go around with mound crew all day and learn where everything was kept and where all the materials were. Once the tour was done we were free to walk around the entire stadium by ourselves and see what everything did. Basically we got a two and a half hour break to just walk around the stadium and ask questions. Once the game started we had to be back in our seats. I sat in the grounds crew seating, which was in the right field corner. They sat there incase something happened during the game, they could be right there if something happened. Well nothing special happened during the game. After the game I was in charge of getting everything ready for fixing the game mound. I mixed the clay with the proper material and water. After that I got started building the mound the way I usually do it back in Burlington. Well the guy I worked with, Larry Holmes, said that the way I did things was very good. I took that as a compliment and was ready to brag about it once I got back to work with T.J. So my job at the all-star game was complete and it was time to head back to Burlington and share with the rest of the staff everything that I experienced. This was something that I never thought I would get a chance to do but I did. This experience with the Burlington Bees was something I will never forget and something that I would most definitely do again. Although I did not get along with my boss or co-workers as certain times, I learned a lot and gain some very useful information that I will use in life with or without this type of job.

No comments:

Post a Comment