Wednesday, June 29, 2011

WEEK 3 - Edie Foley - MWR

Edie Foley
June 22, 2011 - Wednesday
MWR
Today I came in at 7 like always but didn’t have any command PT or INDOC so I was able to take time to set up work out stations for the Stroller Rollers classes that I instruct. The moms really seem to like the stations after the walk because they work out different parts of their muscles in one hour so they are not as exhausted working one muscle the whole time. After my 2 classes at 8 and 9:15 Nancy, my boss, took me to the other part of the Navy base in the “officers housing” because there are some mothers looking to have a Roller Strollers class at that end of the base instead of them driving 5 mins up the road to join the Weapons station class. She had shown me good walking routes along with the fitness center on that base. The rest of the day until 3:30pm was spent learning more about the “officers housing” base and the tour so I can start classes on that end someday.

Edie Foley
June 23, 2011 – Thursday
MWR
Today my hours were very mixed up because I had another mandatory staff class to attend on the Air Force Base. The class was 9-12 (went as my work shift) about Equal Opportunity. I was the only civilian in this class, and all the rest of the military newbie’s had their camis on, so I was a little uncomfortable being in a room of 20 and me being the only civilian. They were very nice and welcoming so by the end of the class I got to know the majority of them. I really liked this class even though it was 4 hours because it was hands on teaching. When this class ended I didn’t have to be back at work until 3:30pm-9pm. This work night consisted of supervising/taking notes and attending 2 fitness classes which I love doing because I learn a lot from them from health to fitness. The last hour 1/2, I worked in the fitness gym signing people in and learning more about how to close the gym at night. There are a lot of responsibilities so there is always something to do or clean when I’m there. It isn’t my favorite job but it’s something that has to be done with any job.

Edie Foley
June 24, 2011 – Friday
MWR
I came in at 7am, but got permission to leave at 8 because I got a parking ticket on Folly Beach and had to go take care of it at a certain time. I came back to work at 12:00 which is when I started working on paperwork for the new fitness classes I’m going to be starting in July. I also was able to work on some exercises for Stroller Rollers that I instruct now because I’m always trying to better the class. What I have learned is that as long as you ask the mothers what they’d like to see, and you incorporate that in the class somehow, they will love you no matter how much you make them sweat. I really love working this class because I am able to work with people and do the workouts with them which seems to motivate them even more than when I didn’t. The fitness classes are my favorite so far and I am already looking at Personal Training Certifications to get so that I can start working with people one on one.

Edie Foley
June 27, 2011 – Monday
MWR
Command PT at 7am today was cancelled because the commander is out of town along with the majority of the unit. Riley and I had the obstacle set up but we got the information a little late so he ended up using it for another client he had and I went ahead and worked on getting the stations ready for the Stroller Rollers classes after our walk. They really loved today’s stations because they were in pain as they were working out which indicated exercise gain. I found some fitness magazines in the gym and has permission to take them and I used most of the station workouts from the ones I found in the magazine. They said today was one of the best days so this really made me feel accomplished today already. When I got done in the room at 11:30, I took my lunch break then headed to the fitness gym and worked with the employees at front desk with all their tasks until about 1:30pm. From then on until 3:30 when I got off work, I had to work on more fitness class descriptions for the July schedule, as well as getting station workout booklets set up for when classes started. There is most definitely always something to do around the bases here.

Edie Foley
June 28, 2011 – Tuesday
MWR
Today I worked the INDOC from 7-9am which was once again another great experience. The trainer, myself, and another assistant used chalk for their “fun fitness PT morning” instead of steps and risers for an exercise they were doing. The risers and steps were used for marking a certain part of the court so instead we saved the trouble by getting chalk and marking it that way. This saved a lot of time and the different colors were able to make “teams” so that everyone could cheer on their team color. It was also a challenge too because it made the destination harder to see.
After this, the rest of the day was spent measuring trails around base because I am starting a walk/job trailing class the beginning of July. I was able to get the right measurements I needed but there are many made trails around base so it took me a long time to be able to get familiar with them along with the roads that another class will be walking through. I just don’t like the thought that alligators live here in Charleston.

No comments:

Post a Comment