Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week 3 - William Gates - Cycling/HWC

Cycling Week 3
My third week with cycling did not involve any fun bicycle safety presentations, however I completed one of my big projects that I have been working on. I have finished the point archive for Lindsey Wilson student-athletes as far back as I could find conference results for the cycling team. I have several other big projects that I will be completing over the next few weeks including the two video projects, maintenance of cycling facilities, and more. In week three I continued documenting emails and all correspondence with current and prospective athletes.

I have created a list of incoming and returning athletes to help find out which disciplines student-athletes plan on competing in when the school year arrives. I also went with Coach and Charles Mooney to Green River Lake to check on the condition of the mountain bike trails and to scope out another potential trail for our home race in September.

I have also been observing the relationship that the cycling staff has with the Athletic Trainers, along with a potential new Athletic Trainer, along with some of the other coaches and staff members. During week three I also continued to work on a list of billboard companies to call and see if they would be willing to donate any excess billboard material so we can cover our BMX track when it is not being ridden in order to keep it in good condition year round.

Continuing to talk to potential student-athletes is one of the things I most enjoy because I get to know the athletes a little bit and hopefully help them choose Lindsey Wilson College for college. I really enjoy this internship so far because I am learning many extra things that people may not realize goes into running a successful team.
-----
HWC Week 3
The Flab2Fab Fitness Challenge began May 31 and we ended up having 38 people show up. The hardest part about the first day was getting all of the measurements, weights, and information from everyone because there was only one scale, one BMI/body fat percentage machine, and one measuring tape. It has been documented that for the next time that a program like this begins, it would be optimal to have at least two of everything to help with time management. I had asked everyone to show up between 12PM and 515PM to get all of the measurements done, but only about 10 or so actually did. After the measurements were all complete, I introduced myself to everyone and gave a little speech about the program and its details, what I was expecting from everyone and asked if anyone had any questions.

Following the introduction, we did the 5-minute step test in order to gauge the fitness of the participants. Everyone seemed motivated and pushed each other to continue even if it was hurting so bad! It was awesome!

The next day it was decided to start denying people entrance into the program because we wanted everyone to start from the same time and be in the program from start to end together. When it came to Thursday, I had a serious discussion with Joel about how I did not want to cut participants from the program because of the need for most participants to be in the program. His main concern was that I would be working more than 20 hours a week with him and that he would be extremely over budget. I had to tell him that it is a 20-hour minimum internship and that I am not comfortable cutting people who are in a situation where they may not be here next year if they become cut from the program and lose all motivation. He finally turned the other cheek and said we could keep everyone and the day was good.

I met with several groups to do small group workouts and the participants seem to love it and be completely happy so far with everything that has been going on. I had also done a ‘trial’ Couch-2-5K workout last Saturday with anyone who wanted to show up. It was a great turn out of about 16 to 20 people and they all worked tremendously hard.

Weigh-in day is today – Tuesday June 7, so we shall see how hard everyone has worked through week 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment